Friday, March 9, 2012

Common Core-Show Growth in Your Students' Learning

Click the pic to get your pack FREE!
With the new Common Core State Standards, teachers need to be able to show student growth. Well, I also think it is important for students to be able to show that growth as well. If they are involved in their own learning, and know what is expected of them, kids will rise to the challenge.


My team and I have started using data binders in our classrooms. In these data binders, we are saving student work and having the students record data from these items. That is why I've started using a lot of rubrics. Rubrics give the kids more information on how they are doing. It has also helped them 'pay attention' to what they are doing and want to do well.


I have made several of these graphs that the children use to graph their data. This is just the one that we use for charting reading log minutes. I made different versions because I plan on using the one that charts by 1 minute at the beginning of the year when I only require the students to read 5 minutes per day. I might even have them chart how much they read each day so they can challenge themselves to read a little more each day . . . build up STAMINA! (Do you do the Daily 5?)


Right now, I am using the chart that goes up by 10 minutes and I'm only having them fill in the total for each week. I'm still playing around with it.


I know, I know, I'm rambling! Well, I thought I would also tell you about another item that I finally put the finishing touches on today. It's a pack that helps kids take a simple sentence and then expand on it. I'm really tired of reading all those choppy sentences!


Just click the pic to get this pack for $4.00.


Oh, and one more thing. . . I've had everything in my shop 20% off since Thursday and forgot to tell you! It will all still be on sale on Saturday, March 10 if you want to stop by and shop. I've also put my items in {My Shop} page on this blog, so it will be easier to see what I actually have available . . . I think it's hard to see everything sometimes.


Happy Weekend!

                Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. "Stamina" is one of our favorite words! I used it during the first week, as I introduced Read To Self, etc. and it really stuck with my kindergartners.

    Thanks for the info in this post. I teach at a private school. We do not follow Common Core, but I feel that it is in the best interest of my students to align myself with the standards, as much as possible. :-) I'll be reading more about it over the summer!
    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hilary! Thanks for sharing! I love your Common Core data binder idea.

    I am a new follower.

    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the reading logs! At the bottom I saw a place for rating their capitalization, punctuation, etc. So you just have them respond to what they read on notebook paper or do you have a form for them to fill out? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Common core growth and other necessary ideas are almost governing true possible ideas which will give something better to students to try herewith. mba sop

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

My Blog List

Labels

Add to Google

Total Pageviews

Follow on Bloglovin