Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Improving Word Choice with French Fry Words

My kids love using 'French fry' words to make their writing better. When I first made my bulletin board, this is what it looked like. 

Eventually, I used a pocket chart to store the packets. I liked using the pocket chart much better because the fries didn't go spilling everywhere. The 'French Fry' board is a board for overused words. The French fries are words to use instead of boring words. I think it came out pretty darn good. It really helps the kids get rid of some of those old, tired words. Watch the video to see how my friend Jenny has them in her room. 





Maybe some of you remember (or have pinned to one of your Pinterest boards) the cute 'I'm Lovin' It' board. I tried to follow the pins but came to a dead end. Here it is on my Pinterest board. Thank you to whoever came up with this fabulous idea!  I wanted to make it for myself, so I, of course, made it into a packet.

 I think it came out well and I even made sure that the words wouldn't get all mixed up I put a little symbol on each fry and each cup. You can use the 'cups' that are in the packet, or you can go to your local French fry joint and beg for the little cups in the kid meals! (They make a small size now!)

                                   

Check out all the words that are included! 





I even added a page for the kids to write their most overused words on. I am going to put this in a page protector in the writing folders so the kids can write some 'fancier' words that they want to use in their writing for the day. They use a dry erase marker, erase and find different words on a different day!



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

My Blog List

Labels

Add to Google

Total Pageviews

Follow on Bloglovin