Sunday, February 9, 2014

Trying to Keep My Kids Accountable While Buddy Reading

A couple weeks ago, my principal came into my room and the kids seemed to be doing a fabulous job at Daily 5 while I was teaching reading groups. I got a good evaluation, but also had a comment about a couple of boys buddy reading, who weren't bothering anyone, but who weren't really engaged either. Well, I don't know about you, but that just isn't okay with me!

So, I decided to come up with a way to get them actually reading with each other AND actually thinking about their reading. This video will give you an idea of what I have in mind.



I'm planning on starting this in my room tomorrow, so I will let you know how it goes. I think it is going to work well . . . but as you know, things don't always go the way you plan!

Have a great week and be warned . . . February 14th is coming and not only is it party day, but it's Friday . . . oh, and it is a full moon! Yikes! Hang on tight, it might be a rocky ride!


Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. This is an amazing idea, and gets my head spinning with ideas for my students to do while they are reading to partner. It shows that you are an amazing teacher who responds positively to feedback. I look forward to reading more about this!

    My students have Reading Journals, and have a reading task each day. This has helped with reading engagement, but a couple students take SO LONG to write in their journals. Just writing their name takes forever. Do you find some of your students take longer to write something simple than to read? Do you have any advice for this, or ideas that work for you?

    Thank you,

    Elizabeth
    Seconds at the Beach
    2ndsatbeach@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh NO! A full moon too? Thanks for the heads-up!

    I really love your book buddy idea! Keeping all students engaged and on task when the teacher is working with a group is always a challenge! Let us know how it is going!

    Thanks for the valentines you sent! LOVE them!

    Jeannine
    Creative Lesson Cafe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great. Is there a list of books that you think work well as Buddy books for different level readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing! You always amaze me with the way your brain is always on the move to make things better for your kids! Can I be your teammate???

    We are lucky, Friday is a PD day so no kids! Our parties will be on Thursday instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a wonderful idea! I admit it - I only do Daily FOUR. I just couldn't keep my buddy readers accountable, or quiet. Maybe if I tried out your idea, they would be more engaged, on task, and less likely to chatter about anything other than the book.

    Thanks so much for sharing!
    Mallory
    Sprinkles for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

My Blog List

Labels

Add to Google

Total Pageviews

Follow on Bloglovin