I am linking up with fellow bloggers in an 'I Teach 2nd' monthly linkup. We will be sharing timely tips, teaching strategies, resources, and some freebies with you. If you like what you see in this blog post, be sure to follow me (or any of the participating bloggers) and check back at the beginning of each month for a new linkup.
Since it is February, I thought I would share what I LOVE most about teaching. I recently started watching videos and reading up about Whole Brain Teaching. I have to say, it has changed my life for so many reasons. Here are a few:
- I am having fun teaching. I mean, I can't wait to teach each day. I've always loved it, but it had become a bit of a chore. Not anymore!
- My kids are having fun learning. I like to think I always made it fun, but I can really feel the shift in the energy of our room. Kids are actively engaged and busy helping me 'teach' with their partners. So cool!
- The kids are really retaining what they've learned.
- And the list goes on and on. You HAVE to go to the Whole Brain Teaching website and watch some of the videos for yourself.
- The bad behaviors have dramatically decreased since I've begun using the Scoreboard and class Rules. There's no time for that monkey business! Watch this little clip to see what my favorite class rule is!
One of my favorite ways to help my kids comprehend what they are reading is called The Crazy Professor Reading Game and the kids LOVE it! This first video is a little guy reading his journal entry about The Kissing Hand. He asked me if it was okay if he used hand gestures (like he does when playing The Crazy Professor Reading Game). This is precious. Check it out!
Here is my whole class reading a story with exaggerated expression and hand gestures. You should hear them answer questions after reading in this way. AMAZING, FUN, and ENGAGING! See for yourself!